So you think she might be pregnant?
How Can You Help Right Now?
- Confirm the pregnancy. Live Well Clinic offers free and confidential urine-based pregnancy tests. They are 99% accurate 7 days after fertilization, usually after she’s missed a period. This is often her first clue that she may be pregnant. Contact us now
- Help her look at information available on all the options. Live Well Clinic nurses and support workers can assist you in exploring your options. You can call or email us to book an appointment for you to come in individually, or together.
- Share the responsibility to choose. Your first instinct might be to say, "Whatever you choose, I'll support you". This sounds positive but she might think that means: "The decision is yours. I don't want to be involved in making the decision." Most women want to make their choice with the support of their partner.
- Ask her for some time to think, but reassure her that you aren't going to abandon her. Even in the best of circumstances an unintended pregnancy can be challenging.
- You don’t need to make a rushed decision. None of us make good decisions when we’re not thinking straight. Take some time to figure this out. Then make a decision that you can both live with.
Here’s some quick advice that may benefit you right now.
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
- Stay calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be the one who is pregnant, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, your child will need you, too.
- Talk about it – not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help, may only increase any stress.
- Gather the facts. Get all the information and seek counsel from people you trust so you can make the best decision for both of you.
- Express yourself honestly – it’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. But make sure she knows she’s not alone.
- Don’t bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. Both of you would do well to work as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as give your thoughts.
Vernon Live Well staff are here to help you, too.
This site, and all information contained herein, is designed to be an informational tool only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or replace care from a qualified medical practitioner. Our Christian care clinic offers accurate information on all pregnancy options, and testing & treatment for STIs to promote health and minimize future risk. Live Well Clinic does not perform abortions or provide abortifacients or contraceptives.